Aluminium Plate Lithography for Beginners or to refresh Lithography techniques with Claudia Husband
Saturday 27th & Sunday 28th February 2016 Non members $260. Members Discount: $240 Materials cost: $40
Lithography is a unique printmaking medium that is based on the principle that oil and water repel one another. Unlike many other printmaking mediums, lithography is a chemical process, which incorporates direct drawing techniques to produce beautiful prints with a unique aesthetic.
This two-day workshop is designed as an introduction to the lithography medium, and would suit those who are yet to explore the world of lithography, would like a refresher course, or who have not worked with aluminium matrices before.
The workshop will include an introduction and history of the medium, with in-depth tutoring on the preparation, drawing and processing of litho plates.
Day 1 10am - 4pm
- Introduction to lithography. Outline of process and history.
- Preparation of Aluminium plates – degreasing, cutting corners, filing.
- Drawing on plates – exploring materials and mark-making
- Processing: First Etch – explanation of process and chemistry, instruction in proper handling and application of chemicals.
Day 2 10am - 4pm
- Processing: Wash Out and Roll Up – explanation of process and chemistry; washing out with solvents, discussion on ink types and rollers, rolling and sponging techniques, discussion of printing bases and their function.
- Processing: Second Etch
- Demonstration of printing student plate – setting up press area, setting press pressure, registration, ink and rollers, wash out, rolling and sponging techniques, troubleshooting, proofing onto newsprint, proofing and editioning onto quality paper.
- Demonstration of printing aluminium plates on an etching press.
Materials supplied by Tutor or Impress
Drawing materials, editioning paper, aluminium plates, gloves, extra solvents (turpentine), extra inks
Gum Arabic; Butcher’s paper; solvents, rags, inks, rollers, litho presses/etching press.
Materials supplied by participants
Apron, notebook/visual diary for note-taking, 2x soft-bristled brushes (small), printmaking paper (eg. Magnani, Fabriano, Somerset, BFK Rives, Kozo or other rice papers), preliminary sketches and reference material. Paper can be purchased from Impress on the day.
Maximum Participants - 6
Claudia Husband is a visual artist living in Brisbane, Australia. In 2012, she completed a Bachelor of Fine Art with the Queensland College of Art in Australia, majoring in printmedia and drawing. Shortly after graduating, she attended the Tamarind Institute in Albuquerque, USA to undertake a summer workshop in aluminium plate lithography.
The artist has prints in collections within Australia, including the State Library of Queensland, Queensland College of Art, Griffith Artworks and Magnani Papers Australia. She works closely with Impress Printmakers Studio in Brisbane to conduct regular printmaking workshops in both traditional lithography and "kitchen lithography", as well as tutoring the printmaking students at the Queensland College of Art with the production of their work.
PAYMENT AND BOOKING
To book a place in a workshop, go to the Booking Form Page and follow the prompts to enter in your details, membership status and the workshop you would like to book into.
After submitting, the payment will need to be processed separately. We prefer a direct deposit, details are on the Booking Form Page. Reference: Use YOUR SURNAME + the Workshop Code you are enrolling in e.g. SmithALWS10